© 2024 ALLCITY Network Inc.
All rights reserved.
The MLS Cup Playoffs might have been on hold due to the November international break, but the action didn’t stop for several of the standout players for the Philadelphia Union.
Jose Martinez and Daniel Gazdag headlined seven Union players who featured for their respective national teams on international duty across several competitions. Andre Blake and Damion Lowe were part of Jamaica’s CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinal win over Canada.
Homegrowns Jack McGlynn and Nathan Harriel both featured for the U.S. Under-23 men’s national team in November friendly matches against Iraq and Morocco.
Here is a closer look at how Union players fared on international duty this month:
- Daniel Gazdag started and played 45 minutes in Hungary’s 3-1 EURO Qualifying victory over Montenegro on Sunday. Gazdag also came off the bench and played nine minutes in a 2-2 draw with Bulgaria on Nov. 16. Hungary topped Group G and are headed to the European Championships next summer.
- Jose Martinez did not dress in Venezuela’s 1-1 draw with Peru on Tuesday. He also started and played 84 minutes in Venezuela’s 0-0 draw with Ecuador on Nov. 16. Venezuela sits fourth in the World Cup Qualifying table.
- Andre Blake started, made five saves, and played 90 minutes in Jamaica’s 3-2 second leg win over Canada on Tuesday. Blake also started, made five saves, and played 90 minutes in Jamaica’s 2-1 first leg home loss to Canada on Nov. 18. Jamaica advanced to the Nations League semifinals on the away goal tiebreaker.
- Damion Lowe started, registered one assist, and played 90 minutes in Jamaica’s 3-2 second leg win over Canada on Tuesday. Lowe dressed but did not play in Jamaica’s 2-1 loss to Canada on Nov. 18.
- Nathan Harriel totaled 152 combined minutes in the USMNT U-23’s 1-1 draw with Iraq on Nov. 18 and 1-0 loss to Morocco on Tuesday, Nov. 21. Harriel started and played 90 minutes against Iraq before logging 62 minutes from the start against Morocco.
- Jack McGlynn totaled 91 combined minutes in the USMNT U-23’s 1-1 draw with Iraq on Nov. 18 and 1-0 loss to Morocco on Tuesday, Nov. 21. McGlynn came off the bench and played 29 minutes against Iraq before logging 62 minutes from the start against Morocco.
- Tai Baribo started and played 74 minutes in Israel’s 2-0 win over Andorra on Tuesday. Baribo also came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Israel’s 2-1 loss to Romania on Nov. 18. He dressed but did not feature in Israel’s 1-1 draw with Switzerland on Nov. 15 and Israel’s 1-0 loss to Kosovo on Nov. 12.